Tuesday, May 14, 2013

I'll tell you a little secret...THIS is the best part of homeschooling.

I'm asked about homeschooling fairly often. And when asked what I like about it I give all sorts of standard answers about how I love spending time together, or how he is learning more at home, or even that they are getting lots of time together to form sibling bonds. All pretty much the same answers you see in articles on homeschooling, blog posts, etc. But the truth is the BEST part of homeschooling isn't any of that. In fact, the best part really has nothing to do with the kids at all. The dirty little secret, that no one tells you, is that the absolute best part of the homeschool experience is that tiny sliver of time between ending one year and starting a new one. The sweet spot when all possibilities seem open, and nothing stands between you and an amazing school year except your credit card. You flip through catalogs, oohing and ahing over 3D maps and CDs of historical radio broadcasts. You search websites for that one science kit that will transform your child from sullen teenager to world reonowned physicist. Shiny ads and convention speakers promise happy days cuddled with books and test scores beyond your wildest imagination. And in that magical between time you believe it all.


So yeah, I love this time. It will end all too soon. In fact, as soon as you make the first purchase the magic starts to fade. You find the flaws, you realize how long it will take to plan, the binder doesn't look quite as sparkly and vivid as it did on the website. I know all that. I know that soon I'll be wrestling with my planning software and way too many books, trying to make them all fit. Trying to find that balance between learning "enough" and not overdoing it. But right now I'm ignoring all that. I'm going to drool over latin roots and picture study and dissection kits and enjoy the fun part. Cause really..it's the best part.

No comments:

Post a Comment